For the north-west clog dances we have a big band, with many instruments and lots of drums and tambourines. A big sound!
The clog dance 'Basque' uses three tunes. Click here for a snippet.
Most of the Cotswold morris dances have their own tunes, traditionally the same tune wherever the dance is performed. Click here for the beautiful tune 'Idbury Hill' on the concertina.
Morris music varies according to the origin of the dances
Our music is chiefly played on melodeon and anglo concertina, both diatonic squeezeboxes which inject extra rhythm into the music.
For Cotswold morris we limit ourselves to either one or two instruments, in the traditional style, but the clog morris has a big band, with squeezeboxes, percussion, bassoon and even cigar box guitar.
A big bass drum is essential, and usually we have a snare drum and tambourines too.
Look at details of our CD, £5
A wide-ranging collection of music, with newly-recorded tracks and older recordings which have been re-mastered. Track listing below.
Most have never been released before.
Mick and Sarah Graves play two tunes by Greg Trice, one in a particularly fiendish but catchy 5/4 time. Liz Giddings and Roger Digby play two Irish barndances from their album. Moose’s inspiring performance of ‘The Band Played Waltzing Matilda’ contrasts with Steve Monk’s traditional melodeon tunes in old East Anglian style.
The notion of ‘something for everyone’ has never been truer, while the whole album will appeal to a wide audience.
Now available from email@example.com or Tel: 01245 263753 at £5 plus £2.00 UK postage.
21 tracks of songs and music by past and present members of Chelmsford Morris, including
Anahata (with Mary Humphreys),
Mick and Sarah Graves,
and many others.
1. Chelmsford Morris ~ Idbury Hill (Cotswold morris dance)
2. Mick and Sarah Graves ~ Moulsham Street Hornpipe / The Endeavour
3. Moose ~ The Band Played Waltzing Matilda
4. Steve Monk ~ The Duke of Marlborough’s March / La Russe
5. Issy and David Emeney with Kate Riaz ~ The First of May
6. Liz Giddings and Roger Digby ~ Joe Bane’s / Gipsy Princess
7. Chelmsford Morris ~ Medlock (Northwest morris dance)
8. Frances White ~ Two Little Girls in Blue
9. Capercaillie ~ Ned Kelly’s Fancy / Queen’s Jig
10. Geoff Harris ~ Blow the Candles Out
11. The Old Court Ceilidh Band ~ La Fille de Mon Pays
12. Mary Humphreys and Anahata ~ Tricky Dicky / The Liberation Polka
13. Bob Sawyer ~ Cock Robin
14. St. Monday ~ Portobello / Darling Nelly Gray
15. Annie Harding and Jen Conquer ~ Jock o’ Hazeldene
16. Martyn White and Danny Gallagher ~ All in a Garden Green / The Cotillion
17. Chelmsford Morris ~ Borderline (Border morris dance)
18. Capstan Full Strength ~ Dust and Coal
19. Cath Chandler and Nick Whiteley ~ Sally
20. Lyckerty Splyt ~ Step and Fetch Her
21. Colin Cater ~ The Dance of England